At a fraction of the cost of comparable applications, the Global Mapper LiDAR Module® is a must-have for anyone using or managing terrestrial or airborne LiDAR as well as other point cloud datasets.
LiDAR Module Overview
The Global Mapper Lidar Module is an optional add-on to Global Mapper that provides numerous advanced lidar processing tools and is a must-have for anyone using or managing terrestrial or airborne lidar as well as other point cloud datasets.
The Global Mapper LidarModule is embedded in the standard version of the software and is activated using an appropriate license file or order number. As with the full version of Global Mapper, the Lidar Module can be activated on a trial basis by requesting a temporary license. Click here for instructions on how to activate the module
Not Using Global Mapper? Download or Purchase Global Mapper to Activate the LiDAR Module
Key functionality offered in the LiDAR Module includes:
- Pixels-to-Points tool for creating a high-density point cloud, 3D mesh, and orthoimage from overlapping drone or UAV-collected images
- 3D mesh creation from selected LiDAR points
- A convenient LiDAR Toolbar for easy access to key editing and analysis functions
- Multiple gridding options for DSM or DTM generation
- The ability to load point cloud files containing a billion points or more
- Automatic point classification tools for identifying and classifying building, ground, vegetation, power lines, utility poles and noise points
- Feature extraction functionality to automatically create 3D buildings, trees, utility poles and power lines,
- Cross-sectional rendering using Global Mapper's Path Profile tool for viewing and editing the point cloud in a vertical perspective
- 3D Digitizing or custom feature extraction using the perpendicular profile function
- Advanced filtering options to efficiently remove erroneous or unneeded points
- Proximity query function to identify points of a certain class encroaching on other points or line features
- Customizable identification and reclassification of noise points
- A point cloud change detection tool that creates a new layer containing points that are significantly offset when comparing two point cloud layers
- LiDAR scripting commands for streamlining workflow
- Point colorization from underlying imagery or a gridded layer
- A LiDAR QC tool for correcting point cloud elevations using ground control points
- Multiple point cloud visualization options including by classification, intensity, elevation, RGB, and point density
- Support for reporting LiDAR statistics
- Point cloud thinning, including variable 3D thinning
- Support for importing and exporting most common point cloud formats
- Support for NIR (near-infrared) point attributes with the option to create a NDVI or NDWI grid
- LiDAR sorting optimization to improve display and analysis speed.
Low-Cost LiDAR Processing
The enhanced LiDAR analysis and editing functionality in the Global Mapper LiDAR module is offered at a significantly lower price than similar applications. The cost of activating this module is on par with the cost of purchasing a copy of Global Mapper with flexible licensing options available for network, enterprise, and academic use. For more information, contact email@example.com.
Recent Developments in the LIDAR Module
Each release of the Lidar Module includes dozens of new and updated features that expand the functionality of the software. The highlights in the latest releases include:
- A new Terrain Paint tool for manipulating elevation values in a free-form way using an interface similar to MS Paint, Photoshop, etc.
- A new algorithm that improves building classification results on all types of point clouds.
- Improved building extraction with better 3D shape simplification for generating building footprints.
- A new option to generate a process summary report when using the the Pixels to Points process
- An update to the underlying libraries used in the Pixels to Points process resulting in improved output with certain image data sets.
- Two new lidar draw modes:
- Color by Source Layer - allowing easy display of lidar point clouds using a different color for each layer
- Color by Scan Angle - supports for sorting exported LAS/LAZ files by one or more fields (X, Y, Z, class, GPS time, etc.)
- Dramatically faster render of lidar path profiles with a large number of points.
The Global Mapper LiDAR Module is embedded in the standard version of the software and is activated using an appropriate license file or order number. As with the full version of Global Mapper, the LiDAR Module can be activated on a trial basis by requesting a temporary license. Click here for instructions on how to activate the module.